Re: spawn of debian: choosing a live-boot CD distro

On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 01:26:26AM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
> On Mon, May 03, 2004 at 12:21:21AM -0400, Kevin Mark wrote:
> > On Sun, May 02, 2004 at 06:54:04PM -0500, Will Trillich wrote:
> > > ultimately what we're after is a debian-based install that does
> > > server functions (email, web, database) that has GOOD DETECTION
> > > ROUTINES at install, such as
> > >
> > > 	knoppix
Donno if it was mentioned here, Norbert wrote a small howto to use
knoppix for the woody installation[1]

> > > any opinions on using these to detect hardware, install, and
> > > serve, serve, serve?
>
> > have you checked out the debian-installer? This is what has
> > been in the works. You may also want to check out 'bonzai
> > linux' or the mini-knoppix cd.
>
> you mean the one that comes on the woody (or sarge) ISO? (we
> experienced plenty of trouble with both of those) or is this
> something else? if so, sounds interesting... :)
debian-installer will be used starting with sarge, the thing before
was called boot-floppies.

For x86 it should be possible to use Progenys Port of RedHats
anaconda [1]. Haven't tested the new stuff but I remember that the
netinst CD for woody with the old pgi was quite nice.

Sven

[1] http://www.inittab.de/manuals/debootstrap.html
[2] http://platform.progeny.com/anaconda/index.html
--