Re: FW: X + gdm at bootup madness

Pim Bliek wrote:

Nobody with an answer on this one?

I am having some weird problem I do not understand. When I boot up my machine, I have it to load gdm automatically to start X. It doesn't. It bails out, with errors in /var/log/XFree86.0.log (output below). When I login as root directly after this happens and type: /etc/init.d/gdm restart It loads up X right away without a glitch.

I do not understand why it does not work, while it does 5 seconds later?

Anyone? I use 2.6.4 on an NForce2 mobo with an ATI Radeon 9000 pro. Here is the errorlog:
<snip>

(II) LoadModule: "bitmap"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module bitmap
(II) UnloadModule: "bitmap"
(EE) Failed to load module "bitmap" (module does not exist, 0)
(II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
(WW) Warning, couldn't open module pcidata
(II) UnloadModule: "pcidata"
(EE) Failed to load module "pcidata" (module does not exist, 0)

Fatal server error:
Unable to load required base modules, Exiting...
Are these lines in the log after the second successful attempt to start gdm?