Re: ghostscript woes

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 03:17:34PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> Hi group,
>
> Since more than a week now, gv doesn't anti-alias my postscript files as
> beautifully as before: it uses less grays and more black. If I view my
> LaTeX generated dvi files they look just as beautiful as they ever did.

View the dvi files in what? converted to ps first, or via advi/kdvi?

If you look in 'ghostscript' options in gv, what do you find for the
antialias device? I presume that under gv options, anti alias is still
selected. Here's what my three ps programs give me:

gv         -dNOPLATFONTS -sDEVICE=x11alpha
ggv        -dNOPLATFONTS -sDEVICE=x11alpha
kghostview -sDEVICE=x11 -dTextAlphaBits=4 -dGraphicsAlphaBits=2 \
           -dMaxBitmap=10000000

-sDEVICE is still a legal option; x11 and x11alpha are both listed as
available devices with --help... here are my package versions:

ii  gs-gpl         8.01-2         The GPL Ghostscript PostScript...
ii  gv             3.5.8-31       A PostScript and PDF viewer for X...
ii  gnome-gv       2.4.1-2        GNOME PostScript viewer...
ii  kghostview     3.2.2-1        PostScript viewer for KDE...

> This is irritating, since I use gv a lot. Since ggv also suffers from
> this problem, I think it is actually ghostscript which causes it.

Most likely.

> Furthermore, ps2epsi no longer resizes the bounding box of my graphics,
> while eps2eps somehow turns my scalable LaTeX fonts in bitmaps. Why?

No clue here...

> gv doesn't seem to be able to render a lot of pdfs from the net
> correctly these days. Since I never required acrobat before this all
> started, I'm suspecting something is broken here as well.

In what way does it fail?

--
Jon Dowland
http://jon.dowland.name/