Re: Webmin install problem might be openssl or hostname

james@soon.co.uk wrote:
Hello

I have posted this problem to the debian user list because I
suspect that
this is a system rather than a webmin problem.

Currently I am trying to install Debian (Testing) on a
Compaq Professional
Workstation 5000 (P-Pro SMP) the goal being to set it up as
a headless print
server for a home network.

In order to remotely administer this server I have been
trying to install
webmin (via aptitude) but unfortunately I have been getting
the following
error message:

Setting up webmin (1.130-1) ...
miniserv.pem: No such file or directory
hostname: Unknown host

I understand that openssl generates the 'miniserv.pem' and
as far as I can
tell it is installed and working fine. Also when I run the
hostname command
I get:

chopin

which is the hostname I gave the computer during initial
set-up.

It would be great if some knowledgeable person please point
out the
blindingly obvious error I am making here.

Any useful pointers gratefully received.

James

Did you ever get this to work? I am in the exact same situation as you, though I don't necessarily have to have remote access to Webmin, so the hostname needn't be fully-qualified.

Edit: Okay, I figured out I have to include my hostname (Isildur) with my 'localhost' hostname in /etc/hosts. It now contains the line:

127.0.0.1	Isildur	localhost

Of course I still won't have remote access to webmin, but webmin and webmin-core installs correctly now.

Best regards,
Achton