Re: Keeping X from restarting after killing it

> > > I think this thread is pretty self-explanatory. Actually, I want to
> > > install the binary nVidia drivers, and they require me to shut down
> > > the X server. Unfortunately, when using the ctrl-alt-backspace
> > > interrupt, X instantly respawns.
> >
> > Open a terminal, su to root, then type
> >
> >    init 1
> >

> Huh, going to single user just to shut down a single service?
>
> > do your business of installing and the like. When finished type
> >
> >    init 5
> >
> > to get back to graphical login, or
> >
> >    init 3
> >
> > to get to console-based login.
>
> On Debian systems the runlevels 3 and 5 are identical by default,
> unless explicitely modified by root.

Open a console, su root, do a ps -aux and look search for something like wdm, gdm, kdm, xdm, ...
then type /etc/init.d/[wgkx]dm stop.
Ctrl+Alt+Backspace your X you'll be in console than and when you want to restart the [wgkx]dm
do /etc/init.d/[wgkx]dm stop

(change [wgkx]dm by the one you found in your ps -aux )

Solves everything without having to change runlevel ;-)

hth

--
Elie De Brauwer
http://www.de-brauwer.be

No animals were hurt and no microsoft products were used during the
creation of this e-mail