Upgrade to Sarge kills X

I just tried upgrading from Woody to Sarge, the paranoid way, by
copying my entire Woody system to a new partition and using
apt-get  -f  dist-upgrade    off the cd-roms.

The upgrade asked me a number of questions about my monitor and video card,
some of which I probably got wrong, but it made no visible difference as my
/etc/X11/XF86Config-4  is completely unchanged.

However, on trying  startx,    I got the grey screen with the 'X' for a
moment then it dropped back to the login screen.   (I'm using a text login).
The only error message was "Could not init font path element
/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo/, removing from list!"
(But it didn't remove it, I kept getting the same error till I manually #'d
it out in XF86Config-4.  It's probably irrelevant to the problem since my log
in Woody shows the same message, and X works in Woody).

I tried looking at /var/log/XFree86.0.log, but couldn't see anything with an
EE  (error) against it, and only one WW (warning) - Cannot open APM - which
I've got in Woody anyway.

Does anyone have any suggestions where to look?   Or what has changed in
Sarge?

Regards

cr
(back in Woody)