Re: Keeping X from restarting after killing it

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 10:00:04PM +0200, Markus Lindström wrote:
> CW Harris wrote:
> >Don't know if there is a better "Debian" way, but you can edit your
> >/etc/inittab to specify a default runlevel.  By default (IIRC) Debian
> >installs with runlevel 2 (default) and 3 executing the same.
> >
> >You can for example, change runlevel 2 to not run your display manager
> >similar to this (man update-rc.d):
> >
> >    update-rc.d gdm start 99 3 4 5 . stop 01 0 1 2 6 .
> >
> >This will make your default runlevel (2) *not* start gdm.  If you
> >change your default runlevel to 3 then gdm *will* start and you can
> >"telinit 2" to change to runlevel 2.
> >

> update-rc.d doesn't seem to work here... I get this as result: "System
> startup links for /etc/init.d/gdm already exist", and it seems nothing
> happened whatsoever.
>
> Any idea on what's happening?

Sorry, my fault. (as the man page says) update-rc.d will not touch them
as long as at least 1 link remains, to enable the admin to move them
around and not have scripts automatically change it. So for the example
I gave above:

    1) move the ../rc2.d/S99gdm to ../rc2.d/K01gdm
or
    2) update-rc.d -f gdm remove

--
Chris Harris <charris@rtcmarketing.com>
GNU/Linux --- The best things in life are free.