Defining the default soundcard

I have two sound cards.  According to the best documentation I've
found, to set the *default* alsa soundcard, I must insert the
following in $HOME/.asoundrc:

pcm.!default {
        type hw
        card 2
        }
ctl.!default {
        type hw
        card 2
        }

This works for alsa-aware programs like alsaplayer and xine.  But
this doesn't work for programs that work only with OSS or thru
alsa's OSS emulation like xmms (without the alsa plugin) and all
the games I have instaled like pachi and armagetron.

Is there a way for me to define the sound card used by ALSA's OSS
emulation layer?