Re: mplayer problem

On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 01:34:48AM -0600, tsitras@spymac.com <tsitras@spymac.com> wrote:
> i was running mplayer, and suddenly its sound died.
 Try play from a shell (kterm/xterm or whatever) and check the output
regarding the sound.

> every time i am trying to play a file (video mainly)
> the video plays fine, but there is no sound.
mplayer -ao help
Check for available audio codecs and try some.

> apparently
> the other applications in kde can play video with sound
> without any problem.
 Do you have artsd?

> so i decided to download a fresh
> from its home, extract it and compile it. and strangely
> enough i got some errors while running the ./configure
> script.
 It's pretty straigtforward if you just read them.

> Checking for X11 headers presence ... not found (check if the dev(el) packages
> are installed)
> Checking for X11 libs presence ... not found (check if the dev(el) packages are
> installed)
 As it says, install xlibs-dev .

> Checking for OSS Audio ... yes
 You will have only OSS audio, which is not correct if you have a cheap
and a bit worse audio card. artsd will get it, and no one can play
sound. (I bet you have artsd, at least it may be).

> Checking for aRts ... no
 Install libarts-dev or something, do 'apt-cache search arts' for artsd
to find out the correct development lib.

> Checking for EsounD ... no
> Checking for ALSA audio ... no
 You may also install development versions of esd or alsa, if you have
the runtime libs installed.

> Checking for OggVorbis support ... no
 I support OggVorbis, but that's may be my thing.

> Config files successfully generated by ./configure !
 Finally rerun configure.

>     Audio output: oss mpegpes(file)
 Watch for the above, it should include the sound system you use.

/GCS