Re: Starting x-apps from bash (or ssh)

On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 03:04:10AM +0200, Sturla Holm Hansen wrote:
> I'm trying out debian, and so far I like it a lot, but one things bugs
> me: I can't start x-apps from a bash-terminal or from an ssh-windows
> like I'm used to doing in redhat/fedora.  Could anyone point me to a
> sollution?

Sturla,

What is the commands you used to use on fedora? Something like:

DISPLAY=:0.0 rxvt

I noticed that that stopped working in Debian unstable, and I think it
has to do with gdm. With a bit of poking around, this works for my
current session:

$ export XAUTHORITY=/tmp/.gdm5DU78i
$ DISPLAY=:0.0 x11vnc

If anyone can help me with a shorter way and a clue as to why gdm sets
that XAUTHORITY, I will be grateful.

--
Danie Roux *shuffle* Adore Unix