Re: Installing XFree86 for Debian Linux Woody 3.0r2

 --- Ching CheeWee <cwching@rocketmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Thomas,

Hello, CheeWee -

>     Thank you for your help.I have upgraded my XFree86 to version 4.3.0.
> However, I only manage to get into KDE at 800x600 resolution and what
> looks like 256 colors. I used XFree86 -configure command to auto detect
> my hardware and it is able to detect my graphic controller as Intel 865G
> chipset controller. Is there any way that I can improve my KDE to be
> shown in 1280x1024 resolution with depth 24 bits colour?

You'll have to edit /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 by hand. Find the section that
looks like:

Section "Screen"
        Identifier      "Default Screen"
        Device          "Generic Video Card"
        Monitor         "Generic Monitor"
        DefaultDepth    16
        SubSection "Display"
                Depth           1
                Modes           "1024x768"
        EndSubSection

For your default colour depth (DefaultDepth), change that to 24 if you
have not already done so, and throughout each "SubSection Display" that is
listed, add:

"1024x786" in front of any existing "Modes".

Then just re-start X11.

Hope That Helps,

-- Thomas Adam

=====