Re: Debian and Java

On 4/29/04 6:51 PM, "Kent West" <westk@acu.edu> wrote:

> kostas wrote:
>
>> I want to know if debian support completely java. I tried to find the
>> appropriate package for the latest java virtual machine jre1.4.2 but I
>> didn't succeed. Also, will I be abe to write java code through Netbeans and
>> use MySQL database in Debian.
>
> Java works in Debian, but because Java is not Free, Debian can not
> distribute it.

There are free java compilers that work in Debian normally though (like
gcj).

MySQL is in apt-get, and has been for a long time. apt-get mysql

Netbeans I have no idea.

> There are third-party sites that will provide Java via apt-get, but I
> don't know their addresses; you can search this list's archives.

http://www.bxlug.be/en/articles/71

You have to be able to ftp from apt-get though. (FTP must die. Somebody
should put the Blackdown debs on an http server.)
--
Government is essentially immoral.

                 --- Herbert Spenser