Re: Debian and Java

kostas wrote:

Hi,
I am a new debian user.
I want to know if debian support completely java. I tried to find the
appropriate package for the latest java virtual machine jre1.4.2 but I
didn't succeed. Also, will I be abe to write java code through Netbeans and
use MySQL database in Debian.
Thank you in advance,
Kostas

Java works in Debian, but because Java is not Free, Debian can not distribute it.

There are third-party sites that will provide Java via apt-get, but I don't know their addresses; you can search this list's archives.

Or alternatively, and what I'd do, is to download Java from either the Sun site or the Blackdown site, and install it according to the ReadMe in that package.

--
Kent