Re: status = 0 errno 0

On Wed, Apr 28, 2004 at 11:28:35PM +0200, J. Kendzorra wrote:
> Hi,
> I already asked this on the german "users"-list (and devel, where I
> seemed rather offtopic - sorry for that), but nobody seemed
> to have an answer (just like everyone else I asked before):
> After my hdd-crash 3 weeks before my provider reinstalled a standard
> debian woody image and I restored the backups.
> Before that crash I was using colobus (perl nntp-server,
> http://trainedmonkey.com/colobus/) on woody for about 1,5 years.
> After restoring the backups I started the services, and now colobus
> always displays "status = 0 errno 0" when started and when a user
> connects. Clients don't like that and quit with an error message.
> I already asked the colobus developer, but he also doesn't know where
> this message comes from as it's not part of the colobus sourcecode.
> For testing I installed perl 5.8.3, but it's the same result.
> I also tried to reproduce it on my local system (gentoo), but here it
> just works. A snippet of strace-output is here:
> http://kenzo.homelinux.org/strace.txt
> Any help would be greatly appreciated!
>
> J. Kendzorra
>

> --
Hi J,
If all else fails, it use binary debuging: let me explain.
Its kind of like a binary search.
lets say you have a 100 line program, you put a 'print here' statement
near statement #1 in the perl program and then you put a 'print there'
statement in line 100. if  both lines print, the program works ok. but
if 'print here' shows up and 'print there' doesn't, then you split the
program in half and put 'print there' in line 50 and then run the
program again. if 'print there' shows up, it means the error is between
line 50 and 100 and then you move the print statements in between 50 and
100 until you find the line that is giving you the error.
HTH
-Kev
PS. this assumes you know some perl