Re: Where can I find my debian kernel?

On Wednesday 28 April 2004 13:25, Akkermans wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Can anybody tell me where I can find my debian kernel? I mean, can
> someone give me the path where I can find my kernel on my newly
> installed debian system? And if I can find it, is it possible to look
> into it using the VI editor?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Paul Akkermans

Hi Paul,

Your kernel resides in the /boot directory.  However, unless you're fluent
in machine code and know the 8-bit ASCII conversion to hex by heart, it
won't do you much good.  A hex editor will translate from ASCII to hex for
you, but you still have to speak machine code.

There are plenty of places to find out information about the kernel.  Poke
around the /boot and /proc directories, for starters.  Also check
out /usr/src/ if you have the kernel source installed.  If you tell us what
you're looking for, we can probably tell you where to look.

Justin Guerin