Re: Tool for software distribution, registration and installation

On 28 Apr 2004 17:16:49 +0200, Eric van Rheenen
<e.w.p.van.rheenen@med.rug.nl> wrote:

> Hoi Mandus,
>
> No, i'm notlooking for apt-get.  I have over 40 workstations running
> debian and i need to frequently update the running software on these
> machines, but i also occasionally need to install a new package on all
> systems.

you didn't provide much information, you know!

> Since this cannot allways be done in 1 go, i need something to register
> which workstation has the package and which version it is for upgrading
> if needed.
>
> we are talking about network installation, upgrade etc. not a single
> workstation.

see.

We do the same at my company, but we figured out once that the easy
way to do this, is to say that if one workstation need a package, all
of them get it. Hence, we run the apt-commands on only one host, and
use rdist to give the changes to the rest of the computers each night.

Since some things must stay uniq on each host, we use a simple tool
called 'confpar' to adjust the configuration on the individual hosts.
It's is kind of a simplified cfengine, which we find a bit to heavy
for our use. I think confpar was developed at the math.dept. at
University of Oslo back in the 90ties.

We use this system to maintain some 50+ computers, it works quite
well. Actually, we are porting the system to also support laptops
these days (need some 'pull' instead of rdist).

--
Mandus.