Re: problems installing sarge net-install using aptitude

Kevin Murphy wrote:

Debian newbie here.

I am trying to get a GUI running following a net-install of sarge, and
I've run into what appear to be bugs(?) in package dependencies.  I've
not had success with either aptitude or tasksel.

After doing a net-install of sarge, I selected 'gnome' from the Desktop
section in aptitude. It installed gobs of stuff and seemed happy. However 'startx' didn't work because basic X things seemed to be
missing, or links were not right.  I tried both as a normal user and as
root, and I also tried following a reboot.  I searched usenet and saw
various messages about X breaking for people after upgrades, along with
various ineffectual recommendations of additional x-related packages to
install.

I have two goals with this e-mail: 1) to get things working; 2) to make
sure this problem is reported.  I don't have the expertise to figure
this problem out and determine if it has already been reported or not.

Thanks,
Kevin

well... i reported today the same thing on this list: (too) many broken packages, during a net-install with sarge-installer beta_3. something seems to be completely wrong. maybe the consequence of the new Social Contract on which the developers decided?

however, as now sarge seems unworkable to me on my machine. so i have temporarily libranet 7.2 installed (besides my working-horse, trustworthy woody).

k.r.
steef