Re: mountkernfs, mountvirtfs, and devpts.sh

In article <[🔎] 20040426191134.GC9454@hank.org>,
Bill Moseley  <moseley@hank.org> wrote:
>Two part question (first was prompted by the second -- the second is my
>real question).
>
>Part 1:
>
>On Debian Sid.
>
>I see some bug reports on the initscripts package about
>multiple init scripts doing the same thing:
>
>laptop:/etc/init.d$ locate devpts.sh
>/etc/init.d/devpts.sh
>/etc/rcS.d/S35devpts.sh
>
>laptop:/etc/init.d$ locate mountkern
>/etc/init.d/mountkernfs
>/etc/rcS.d/S35mountkernfs
>
>laptop:/etc/init.d$ locate mountvirt
>/etc/init.d/mountvirtfs
>/etc/rcS.d/S02mountvirtfs
>
>devpts.sh mounts:   /dev/pts
>mountkernfs mounts: /dev/pts /dev/shm /sys /proc/bus/usb
>mountvirtfs mounts: /dev/pts /dev/shm /sys /proc/bus/usb /proc
>
>I assume devpts.sh is no longer needed.  What about mountkernfs and
>mountvirtfs?  They seem to mount the same things, but at different
>points in the boot/init process.  Can someone explain?

After the next upload of sysvinit, devpts.sh and mountkernfs will
be gone. mountvirtfs will be the only script mounting devfs/sys/proc/usbfs

Glibc already dropped the devpts.sh and mountkernfs scripts, but
because they are conffiles dpkg doesn't delete them. The initscripts
postinst will do that.

>Here's what started this quest.  I get this message at boot, and I'm not
>sure what's not working:
>
>laptop:/etc/init.d# ./mountkernfs
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on tmpfs,
>       or too many mounted file systems

Sounds like you don't have tmpfs enabled in the kernel.

>tmpfs is trying to mount but it's not configured:
>
>laptop:/etc/init.d# fgrep TMPFS /boot/config-2.6.5-xfs-toshiba
># CONFIG_TMPFS is not set

Ouch ?

>But it looks like it is:
>
>laptop:/etc/init.d# fgrep tmpfs /proc/filesystems
>nodev   tmpfs

Yes. That's arguably a kernel bug, but the circumstances leading
to it are so complicated I doubt anyone wants to touch that one again.

>laptop:/etc/init.d# mount -t shmfs shmfs /dev/shm
>mount: fs type shmfs not supported by kernel
>
>laptop:/etc/init.d# mount -t tmpfs shmfs /dev/shm
>mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on shmfs,
>       or too many mounted file systems

Yup, it's there, but you can't use it. Great, isn't it ?

>laptop:/etc/init.d# mount
>/dev/hda4 on / type xfs (rw)
>proc on /proc type proc (rw)
>sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw)
>devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,gid=5,mode=620)
>
>I assume I need devpts for virtual terminal support.  Is that a correct
>assumption?

Well, old-style pty's will still work.

Now, what was your question again ?

Mike.