Re: Sarge Version of Debian?

If you use the net-installer, you better hope that your ethernet works automatically. I tried a nightly, and my 8139 chipset seemed to not want to be found. Perhaps I did something wrong, but I was hoping something like that would be autoconfigured for me. Something to keep in mind.

Jigdo really is not a pain to use at all, I found it quite simple. Just ignore most of its output as it can be rather confusing and misleading. For a long time I thought it was only able to find 5/4000something files, but decided it was good enough to build an image anyways. So, I kept canceling it, trying to find better mirrors, when finally I realized it was just telling me that it had downloaded an additional 5 files that were needed. If I just ran it and ran away it would have been half as frustrating.

David Piniella wrote:
This is of interest to me because I 'm about to reinstall debian on a machine and I'd like to go straight to sarge. What's the preferred or ideal method? I don't mind net installs, but I don't know whether to use the 100MB image, or the 30MB net-installer or the PGI GUI installer or install a bare woody and dist-upgrade to sarge/testing?

jigdo seems a big pain, but I can probably get it going on my Windows system if I absolutely MUST.

any suggestions or warnings would be most appreciated.