Re: tasksel / "X Window System" / Woody

From: "Hector Scaramelli" <pwrpnt@wpowerpoint.com>

> > So how was a beginner such as myself supposed to get the X-server
installed,
> > when the recommended use of 'tasksel' during installation didn't offer
> > anything appropriate, and even managed the rather silly option of
installing
> > KDE and Gnome with no X-server?
>
> I am new to Debian and to Linux too. I've seen this to happen when you
> choose to run the updates from debian security site. It will just wipe
> out the x-window option from tasksel.
> Any other input on this issue is welcome.

Hello Hector

I think you've spotted what the problem is. Indeed the updates at e.g.
http://security.debian.org/dists/stable/updates/main/binary-i386/Packages do
not contains any "Task: " lines, whereas the equivalent files in the main
distribution do.

So, as Hector says, any other input welcome? If this is well-known, which
mailing list is it well-known on? Perhaps you aren't meant to use 'tasksel'
except during initial installation, but of course the installation tells you
what to do if you _want_ to run it later, and it seemed to good idea to use
it later, as evidently both Hector and myself thought.

So we've got docs recommending 'tasksel', and other docs telling you to put
http://security.debian.org/ in your sources.list, but when you do the
latter, the former doesn't work. How is any beginner supposed to cope with
this?

--
Clarke Brunt