Re: gtk2 - bad locale and bad characters

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 06:46:56PM +0200, LeVA wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I'm using some gtk2 apps (i.e.: xchat2 compiled from sources) and I'm
> using the LANG=hu_HU variable. When xchat is logging, it writes the
> 'é,á,?,?,ú,ö,ü,ó,í' hungarian characters wrong: I get '??' instead of
> 'á' and '??' instead of 'ü' and so on.... And, if I'm using another
> gtk2 app with a file browser window, I can not see directories, and
> files, which contains those characters. What is the problem? I'm using
> the "standard" debian packages of gtk2:
>
> libgtk2.0-0    2.2.4-3
>
> Anyone experiencing this problem?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Daniel

It may have to do with locales and with the type of fonts that you
have selected in Settings->Preferences->Interface->Text Box
I have Bitstream Vera Sans 11, and some times I get garbage for simple
latin 1 characters such as ñ,ü,¡,¿ and so forth. usually it happens
when someone types it in a remote client. If I type it all see
it. Check this two things. Please report back your findings.
HTH