Re: devfs.rules vs. udev.rules

csj <csj@zapo.net> writes:

> What's the relationship between /etc/udev/devfs.rules and
> /etc/udev/udev.rules?  With the latest udev upgrade (0.024-6), I
> lost my video for linux devices.  Before the upgrade they were in
> /dev/v4l/*.

No relationship, other than both have rules for udev nodes.  Basically,
/etc/udev.conf should tell udev which rules file to use (unless you use
the directory version).  devfs.rules has rules specifically to emulate
devfs. udev.rules has rules that basically Greg (creator of udev)
created, with input from different distributors (like RedHat, Debian, etc).

Not sure what kind of rules the Debian maintainer has set up for
udev.rules, and which is default in Debian.  I usually (using the
upstream version for now), copy the version I want into
/etc/udev/udev.rules (I'm using a custom one, anyways).

--
John L. Fjellstad