Dodgy "uname -r" and upgrading libc

I have been having problems upgrading libc6_2.3.2.ds1-11 to
libc6_2.3.2.ds1-12.

The pre-installation script returns the error:

  WARNING: Your kernel version indicates a revision number
  of 255 or greater. Glibc has a number of built in
  assumptions that this revision number is less than 255.
  If you've built your own kernel, please make sure that any
  custom version numbers are appended to the upstream
  kernel number with a dash or some other delimiter.

After a bit of a dig around with google, I found that it seemed to work
out the revision number by using a "uname -r" command.  So to try and see
what might be wrong i ran one.. and it returns

  $ uname -r
  2.6.47683

Quite obviously my kernel isn't version 2.6.47683, thats just silly.  It
is in fact a 2.6.4 kernel that I compiled myself a month and a bit back.
I cant say i have any idea where the 7683 nonsense comes from.

This leaves me a little stuck.. I guess I need to either change the
version that "uname -r" returns, or somehow hack the libc upgrade
process so it gets the right value.  I'm not sure how feasible either
potential solution is, or to be honest have any idea how I'd start finding
out how to do one or the other.  These also assume that I didn't do
anything particularly stupid when compiling the kernel (it was my first).

Well.. Thankyou in advance for any help/pointers.

Piglet