Re: Is there a complete log to the bootup messages?

users@linuxforums.org writes:

> Does dmesg holds the complete log of the bootup messages? If not, is
> there any way for me to retrieve and view the complete log of the
> bootup messages?

There is daemon called bootlogd which creates a bootlog-file named
/var/log/boot. The bootlogd is part of the package sysvinit

http://packages.debian.org/stable/base/sysvinit

The standard behavior of the bootlogd is to be turned off, so in order
to get the log file you have to edit the file /etc/default/bootlogd,
to set BOOTLOGD_ENABLE equal to yes.

BOOTLOGD_ENABLE=yes

According to random pages on google you may have to install
initscripts or module-init-tools.
http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=78679

                                Niels

PS: I never understood why is bootlogd turned of by default. In case
some big guru is reading this, I would be grateful for a pointer to an
explanation. :)

--
Niels L Ellegaard  http://dirac.ruc.dk/~gnalle/