gimp2

My recent update of my sid system has brought a number of changes to my
life, including gimp 2.0.0.  Benjamin Sher's question to gimp experts
prompts me to ask the same people for help.

The new gui for gimp seems to me to have lost the elegant minimalism of
the old.  The various tool windows are now joined into bigger
assemblies that cannot be tucked into unused corners.  And they are so
huge! All the components are bigger: menu bar, icons, rulers,
everything is wasteful of screen real-estate. (The same problem as the
new gnumeric, BTW).

Is there any way of scaling the working bits down to the old sizes and
winning back some workspace?  My eyesight may be getting worse, but I
don't yet need tools designed for Mr Blunket.

--
richard