Re: mouse suddenly behaving strangely

On 2004-04-23, Dave Howorth penned:
> Hello,
>
> My mouse just started behaving strangely, although I haven't done
> anything, to the best of my knowledge. Hopefully somebody will have an
> idea what to try!
>
> I was using my system (woody) as I have for the past many months when
> the mouse suddenly froze. It's a Logitech cordless M-RN66, plugged in
> via the PS/2 port.  I hadn't changed anything immediately prior to the
> freeze, for that matter I haven't changed any system level things for
> quite a while.
>
> I rebooted into Windows 2000 and the mouse was frozen there too. I
> switched to another mouse (corded PS/2 Logitech M-CAA43), pushing the
> connector in and out a few times to clean it.  I booted into Windows
> again and it appeared to work.  I rebooted into Debian and now have
> weird behaviour. The pointer starts in the centre of the screen but as
> soon as I start moving the mouse around it jumps to the bottom left.
> If I move the mouse up and right, the pointer tracks up and right for
> a few inches and then jumps back to the bottom left corner again.
>
> Feels like a hardware problem to me - has anybody seen these symptoms
> before?

I suppose it's possible that you somehow fried your PS/2 connector ...

The initial symptoms sound like a low battery to me.  Maybe the corded
mouse happens to need a different entry in your XF86Config-4 than does
the cordless one?  So you had a low battery, switched to a corded,
windows used it properly, but debian didn't know what to do with it?

Just a thought.

--
monique