Apache/PHP4/exec bug

I have a script that uses RealProducer8 to convert from WAV to .rm. It's on an
up-to-date sarge system and has stopped working in the past couple of weeks.

I've made a test script and stripped things down to try to narrow the problem.
Here are some findings:

- The RealProducer (RP) execution should take about 30 seconds but, when
accessed via HTTP, returns immediately with no output.

- The same script, on the same system, runs fine from the command line

- Via HTTP, the script runs fine if I just ask RP to show its help info and do
nothing

- Identical script works on a woody system with no problems via HTTP

- safe_mode was off for the tests

It looks to me like a bug in either apache or libphp4.so, which is part of the
PHP4 package.

Anyone any ideas?

Some version details...

sarge system: