Re: Sound on Sarge

john gennard wrote:

I had tried that, David, and only got the offer of 'xmms',
repeating shows:-

-------------
Leary:/home/john# apt-get install alsa-xmms
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
Note, selecting xmms instead of alsa-xmms

This looks like alsa-xmms predepends on xmms, which is hardly surprising.
Xmms has a myriad of these.
If alsa-xmms didn't exist, your packet manager would say so, as in:-
"alsa-xmms, no such package," quite emphatically.

Suggested packages:
  unzip
Recommended packages:
  libmikmod2 libvorbis0
  xmms
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 40 not upgraded.
Need to get 2013kB of archives.
After unpacking 6255kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ftp.uk.debian.org testing/main xmms 1.2.10-1 [2013kB]
25% [1 xmms 507879/2013kB 25%]30.3kB/s 49s
29% [1 xmms 601999/2013kB 29%]29.6kB/s 47s
----I aborted at this stage----

A package search on Debian.org in both Sarge and Testing failed
to show 'alsa-xmms'. Very puzzling to me.

Not gospel, but it looks as though alsa-xmms is an integral part of the xmms package to the point where it is not recognised as a separate entity. You may have to install xmms to get it. I can't think of any other reason as to why your package manager would respond by installing an apparently unrequested package otherwise.

Thanks for the response.        John.

No problem.
Regards,

David.