Re: 2.6.4 to 2.6.5 problems w/ a sarge machine

On Thu, Apr 22, 2004 at 11:41:35AM -0700, Richard Weil wrote:
> A 2.6.4 versus 2.6.5 oddity in Sarge ...
>
> I have a hosted machine that is running Sarge with a self-compiled
> 2.6.4 kernel. The kernel matches the hardware very well, the kernel
> was made using kpkg, and update-grub is linked into the process of
> installing or uninstalling a kernel.
>
> The source for 2.6.5 came into Sarge a day or two ago.  I complied it
> using the exact same configuration as 2.6.4. I checked all the new
> additions to the kernel and there was nothing important. The machine
> panics when I try to boot into the new kernel. I don't have full
> details because I don't have access to the machine, but I was told the
> machine had hung with an "attempting to kill init!" message.

I recently ran into similar problems on one of my development boxes here
locally[1].  I was originally running a custom 2.6.3 kernel and took it
down to add more memory to it.  I tried rebuilding the initrd image for
my custom kernel a few different times and even forking a shell during
the initrd load to manually try the steps.  Eventually, I purged my
custom kernel and went with the Debian 2.6.5-1-k7 image, then filed the
bug report.

[1] - http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=245238

--
Jamin W. Collins

Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley,
"Proper Studies", 1927