Re: Which distribution should I use ?

On Wed, Apr 21, 2004 at 05:11:38PM +0200, David ROBERT wrote:
> Now, what about kernel updates by the debian
> Securiy Team ? If I'm not wrong, the official
> 2.4 woody kernel is 2.4.18-1 and contains old
> drivers (megaraid v1.18).
> And when a kernel exploit is discovered, the
> security team upgrade the woody 2.4.18-1 kernel,
> not the one shipped with the kveton installer :-)

That's one thing that DKMS is designed to solve.  It lets you update a
single driver rather that the whole kernel.  When a new kernel is
released, you run 'dkms build -m megaraid2 -v 2.10.1 -k 2.4.18-1' and
similar 'dkms install' *before* you reboot into the new kernel.  (Of
course, assuming you left megaraid2 as a module, not built-in, in
which case you'd have to rebuild the whole kernel yes.)

Info on DKMS is at http://linux.dell.com/projects.shtml.

Thanks,
Matt

--