Modprobe under kernel 2.6

Does anybody know why some modules in /etc/modules appear to be ignored?

I have always need "hid" in /etc/modules to make my usb mouse work, and now
under 2.6 I also need to modprobe psmouse and intel-agp to get into X (kdm).  I
added them to /etc/modules but nothing seems to be modprobed at start up.  In
fact the only thing that is in /etc/modules that is probed is ide-scsi - which
I'd rather _wasn't_ done under 2.6 but I need it for 2.4
--
derek