Re: Debian lifecycle

Hello Dmitry!

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 12:15:02PM -0600, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
> I see the picture now and it makes me feel good :) So it looks like after
> deployment of freshly-released "stable" I have about 2 years in average to
> sleep well without dreaming of upgrades. After that I silently get latest
> "stable" from repository using, let's say, apt-get, tune/configure system and
> I'm done for next 2 years rough. Which seems to be a good lifecycle in
> comparison to, for example, fedora with stated lifecycle 6 month.
> Please correct me if I'm wrong with my assumptions.

If by "upgrade" you mean upgrades from one release to the next you are
basically right, but please also note you'd have to watch for security
upgrades (best by subscribing to debian-security-announce) as well as
point releases (see http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/errata), so
it'll not quite be like "sleeping"... ;)

Please also note that those figures stem from empirical data, there
are several voices who want to shorten the release cycle, so possibly
the next releases will follow each other in less time than two years.
But after all, the ability to easily upgrade from one major release to
the next is considered to be one of the strengths of Debian.

Cheers,
Flo