Re: Debian lifecycle

On Tue, Apr 20, 2004 at 09:34:31AM -0600, Dmitry S. Makovey wrote:
> I'm not subscribed to the list, so please CC me in your response.
>
> My question is about release lifecycle in Debian world: exactly how long on
> average "stable" release is supported after it became "obsolete" or in other
> words when there's new "stable" release? (as example - how long woody would
> be supported in terms of errata etc. after sarge goes live?)

By looking at the security updates, the last one for Potato was on 16
Jun 2003.
Woody was released on 19 Jul 2002. I don't know what the 'official'
period is, though.

> Or if old "stable" release "dies" after new is out - how one performes upgrade
> etc (I know about apt-get but I guess there's something more involved in this
> process)

Not really. It's just a matter of pointing it at the right repository
and doing a dist-upgrade. That is, after one has read the release notes
(http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/releasenotes)

--
George Cristian Birzan			gcbirzan (at) wolfheart (dot) ro
Welcome thy neighbor into thy fallout shelter. He'll come in handy if