Re: scanner setup

On Monday 19 Apr 2004 4:25 am, tsitras@spymac.com wrote:

> I am running woody and i have kernel 2.6.5 compiled.
> i would like to make my scanner work. it is a "Mustek 1200 UB plus".
> i installed "xsane, sane, libsane, sane-utils" through apt-get.
> when i run xsane it shows as device only /dev/video0 which is my
> webcam. the scanner it is USB. also i did:
> debian:~# insmod scanner
> insmod: can't read 'scanner': No such file or directory
> debian:~#
> any ideas?

Although you install sane and libsane, you also have to install a
scanner driver and make sure that the scanner is recognised by Sane.
First of all, do

sane-find-scanner

as root, to see if Sane recognises your scanner, and also take down the
vendor and product details which this will give if the scanner is
found.  The list of supported scanners for Mustek is found at:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-mfgs.html#MUSTEK

but you will note that if your scanner has Manufacturer ID of 0x055f and
a Product ID of 0x0003 it is unsupported by Sane at this time.  The
page gives details of the backends (drivers) which you will have to
install to get support for your scanner and also links to the project
pages.

--

Graham