mouse wheel problems after upgrade to 2.6.5 kernel

it looks that after update to 2.6.5 kernel (debian source package) the mouse wheel does not work very well.

 *It doesn't seem to be X related*

Here's the most basic/simple situation/symptoms:

I stop X, read bytes from /dev/psaux (c program, using open and read). for each mouse action there are few bytes read, usually number (depends on action), 8 (almost all the time, at least for clicks)), few zeros. I don't have exact log but here's what it looked like:

  left click:	some number, 8, 0, 0
  middle click:	some number, 8, 0, 0
  right click:	some number, 8, 0, 0
  side button:	middle click number, 8, 0, 0
  wheel clockwise:		8, 0, 0
  wheel counterclockwise:	8, 0, 0

exact numbers don't matter (I think), the point is that it is not possible to tell side button click from middle click and the wheel rotation sends same info no matter in which direction the wheel is rotated, it seems to miss the first byte that in case of other buttons tells what's going on.

BTW X windows is confused in the same way (I guess because that's what it gets from kernel driver - using xev I found that it thinks the sidebutton is button 2 and that turning the wheel is not an event at all).

  any ideas how to make kernel understand the mouse better?

  system:

  debian unstable
  kernel-source-2.6.5
  logitech cordless mouseMan wheel
  mouse connected via /dev/psaux

  mouse related kernel config:

#
# Userland interfaces
#
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX=y
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_X=1280
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_SCREEN_Y=1024
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSEDEV_PSAUX_ENABLE=y
CONFIG_INPUT_JOYDEV=m
# CONFIG_INPUT_TSDEV is not set
CONFIG_INPUT_EVDEV=m
# CONFIG_INPUT_EVBUG is not set
#
# Input Device Drivers
#
CONFIG_INPUT_MOUSE=y
CONFIG_MOUSE_PS2=y

  the mouse used to work with 2.2 and 2.4 kernels.

  TIA

	erik