Re: SATA hard drives?

Colin Watson wrote:
On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 09:07:27AM +0100, users@linuxforums.org wrote:

I have a new computer that has a Soyo Dragon motherboard, with Onboard
SATA/RAID: 2x Serial ATA, RAID 0/1, .......... and a IBM 160 GB Hard
drive 160 GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive.
Can Debian be installed on this setup?

Serial ATA still requires a 2.6 kernel; support for it is scheduled for
inclusion in 2.4.27. There are 2.6 versions of sarge's debian-installer
in preparation, but they're still somewhat experimental ...

ac kernels also work (I used 2.4.21 ac4, with libata patches for support for disks over 137GB),

I just tried 2.6.5 and it seems to work fine (matrox 250GB SATA drive, intel D865PERL motherboard), no patches needed.

  as far as the installation goes:

next knoppix will have optional 2.6 kernel so I guess that might be an installation option... (the CD was already available somewhere, but it's not available for download, see knoppix page for more details, it might be possible to get it somehow, I guess, if there's no other way to install).

	erik