Re: HDIO_SET_DMA failed: Operation not permitted

On Monday 19 April 2004 02:34 pm, Tim Beauregard wrote:
> Markus Schabel wrote:
> > Tim Beauregard wrote:
>
> [...]
>
> >> Unfortunately my first post was 9 days ago, and noone replied to that.
> >
> > I had that problem when i forgot to compile the piix drivers into the
> > kernel. after fixing that, all worked fine again.
> >
> > best regards, Markus
>
> Thanks for the suggestion.  I inserted this module but it made no
> difference.  I have an Athlon processor.  Do you think if I compiled
> PIIx into the kernel as you did, I might get a different result?
>
> I've tried compiling kernels with the default settings, to no avail.
> This is desperately frustrating!
>
> Tim

Ain't it?
Especially since, if I use the 'stock' kernel-image-2.6.3-1-686,
DMA is fine.
I am trying, basically, to rebuild the source for that same kernel, but I get
the DMA error. Weird.
Mainly what I am rebuilding for, is to build-in ieee1394 support, and
eliminate the tons of un-needed modules for sound and net.
I thought it was simpler than this.
I have compared the config files from both the stock build and my build, and I
just can't find anything that looks really different.
Maybe we just got buggy versions?
I don't know.