Emulating a dual monitor system over X?

Hello everyone. Like many on this list I'm sure, I end up being the
recipient of old computers that friends and family unload on me every
time the latest and greatest new thing comes out. A friend of mine just
gave me (another) old laptop that he's not using anymore and I'm trying
to figure out a use for this old beast so it doesn't end up another
thing rotting away in a landfill.

What I was wondering is if it is possible to slap a copy of debian
stable on this thing, hook it up to my lan, and some how use this to
emulate a second monitor for my workstation.

I don't know if X has the ability to do this, but I think I remember
reading that somebody has done this, but my googling has come up nill.

Ideally, I imagine having the laptop sitting on my desk, and when I log
on to my workstation, it would connect to the laptop, start X there and
connect back to the workstation. Then the laptop would display another
workspace of my desktop.

Does anybody know if this is possible, and if so, how does one go about
setting this up? Any links, experience, or anything would be great as
I'm at a bit of a loss as where to start.

Thanks,
Brent