Re: ALSA configure problem

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 07:18:55PM +0200, Hans wrote:
> Sebastiaan wrote:
>
> >usually when you install your kernel, some source files are installed in
> >/lib/modules/2.6.5/ . Normally this happens when you do a 'make
> >modules_install' after the kernel has been compiled. I don't know how you
> >installed your kernel, but version.h definitely should exist there.
> >
> >Note that /usr/src/linux is something different than
> >/lib/modules/2.6.5/, because the latter is (always) your current kernel.
> >
> >Greetz,
> >Sebastiaan
> >

> Is this new for kernel 2.6? I indeed solved it by running make modules,
> then make modules_install in the kernel source directory. I used
> make-kpkg for compiling the kernel and all the modules that were
> compiled with the kernel were installed and worked. I compiled ALSA on a
> Woody box with a 2.4.18 kernel and didn't have this problem. Never had
> to to a make modules; make modules_install.
>
> But thank anyway, as I have ALSA installed now.
>
> Hans

As far as I know, it's been that way *both* with 2.4 and 2.6.  You mention
there was no need to run 'make modules' and 'make modules_install' when you
ran 2.4.18 in Woody.  I assume it's because perhaps that's the default kernel
and the modules were already built and installed during the installation
process.

Nitebirdz
http://www.sacredchaos.com/