Re: Moving from XP and looking for replacement programs

I moved from XP some months ago. For the most part the transition really went more smoothly than I had expected -- probably because I started using opensource software on XP, before I switched.

If you're just checking your own mail, you might want to check out Mozilla Thunderbird instead of setting up spam-assassin or something similar. I used MailWasher on XP for a while, then switched to Pegasus, then to Moz. TB. The latter one caught the most spam, whilst making the fewest `wrong choices' (i.e. seeing /real/ mail as spam). So this might be an option for you too?

That said, I'm sure spam-assassin and similar programs do a better job than Moz. TB, but they might also be somewhat more difficult to set up.

For audio-cd ripping, `abcde' might be something to look into, especially if you're ripping the cd's into MP3's.

Ad-aware, as previous mails have noted, isn't really necessary.

For cd-burning, I've found k3b to be my choice of software. Another option is X CD Roast.

As to antivirus, it isn't really needed. /But/, sometimes it can be useful. For instance I'm sometimes downloading something for friends; it might be software, and in that case they usually run it on Windows. In such cases it's good to check for virus /for them/, before I give the software to them.

I mean, it doesn't do any harm to check for viruses every now and then, even though Linux-targeting viruses are few. --Anyway, if you want to have a antiv. program, try Clamav. I remember I felt really `naked' without a antiv. program, after I switched to Linux. It seems viruses are in newspapers etc. almost everyday nowadays, and it just felt ... wrong not to have a antiv. solution. :)

One thing for which I'm still searching for though, is some equivalent to Microsoft Access. OpenOffice works beautifully, taking care of everything else Office used to do -- and in most parts succeeding quite well -- but I haven't found a database-solution I've liked / known how to use.

Any suggestions?