Re: Modular Kernel:Wat should be modules,wat should be built

users@linuxforums.org wrote:
I would appreciate some elaboration on what kernel module loader does
exactly, since none of the modules get loaded automatically during
runtime. Understanding this will perhaps help to decide which
features will stay as a module and which are the ones that will be
built in.

I have never used automatic loading, but from what I have heard, it will work in cases such as loading filesystem modules and netfilter (iptables) target modules.

I'd imagine it does not work in cases of modules for particular network interface cards, because it is not able to unambiguously determine which is the appropriate module to load (although perhaps it ought to be able to in the event that there is only a single such module).

dircha