Re: Xinerama across Network

On Sun, Apr 18, 2004 at 05:16:10PM +0100, Rus Foster wrote:
} Hi all,
}  I'm looking for a way to see if its possible to have real Xinerama
} across the network some how. What I'm talking about is more than x2x or
} VNC in that if I say started something on 10.0.0.1:0.0 I could drag the
} entire window onto 192.168.0.1:1.0. Does anyone know if this is possible?

There is no X-based way to do it. You can probably fake it with a
combination of x2x and VNC, however. You would have to run a VNC X
server with the size of both screens put together. You would then run a
VNC client on each display, sized and panned to show the correct area of
the virtual display on each screen. You use x2x to make the same
keyboard and mouse work on both real displays. If this is all running on
a 100MBit network, it might not be too slow (though I've experienced
some annoying flickering effects with VNC. Note also that this is rather
memory intensive, and will not benefit from much video card
acceleration.

In rereading your post, I don't think that's actually what you want.
While I feel like it would be technically possible to have an X server
proxy that would let you switch displays the way you want, much like
what screen does for terminal-based apps, I don't think anyone has done
it and I believe that there are enough nasty edge cases to make it
really unpleasant to implement.

} Thanks
} Rus
--Greg