apt-get update with many errors

For the last few weeks, whenever I issue an apt-get update on one of my
machines, I get lots of

Failed to fetch [...]Packages.gz  Error reading from server - read (104
Connection reset by peer)
Error reading from server Remote end closed connection
Sometimes also 'wrong format' (it says it is no .gz)

I always have to issue the apt-get update some 5-10 times before all
sources are downloaded correctly.

You might question the sources or the sources.list or the link. I did so
myself.
However, I run another machine with the identical sources.list on the same
network; even connected to the same hub; and there is never a single
problem like that.
I did try two other mirrors; with exactly the same result, the same
unpredictable errors.
Furthermore, once when the lists are downloaded, the download of
the packages goes through without any hitch. As there is never a
network problem with this machine, I have to exclude a weak eth0 or
cable as well: All this only happens during apt-get upodate.

Just for curiosity: Has anyone ever had the same or an idea where the
problem lies (and how to resolve it) ?