X locking up when closed

When I close xwindows on my laptop, it locks up (in a funny state obviously as the screen goes crazy). The only way I've found out of it is to reboot.

So, where can I look for causes? I've fiddled with the config file doing everything I can think of, but no go. Could something in the kernel cause this?

I just want pointers on where to look. I've had more trouble getting X to work on every machine I've installed linux on then anything else and I *still* am fuzzy on my understanding of it.

All help appreciated,
Jesse Hein