Re: Distribution Upgrade

Curtis Vaughan wrote:
When doing a distribution upgrade I got a message telling me to issue the following command:
readlink /boot/boot.b | cut -f2 -d- | cut -f1 -d
in order to find out the parameter for "install =" in /etc/lilo.conf

By issuing the command:
readlink /boot/boot.b | cut -f2 -d- | cut -f1 -d-
[note an additional hyphen at the end]
I get the response "menu.b"

But there is no /boot/menu.b, so my question is, what am I supposed to put in the install line?

Thanks!

So what happened is dist-upgrade replaced your lilo.
Presumably you do dist-upgrade from a typescript shell so you can see after the fact what all he did. In that script file you should have seen the lilo message, which is probably where you got it from? He would not have changed your lilo.conf and if he had run lilo you would have seen it. The only hitch would be that the new version does not understand your lilo.conf. So run lilo as root and find out. And if you don't like the new version backup to your Mondoarchive CD that you took just before you did the dist-upgrade. ;-)

Hugo.