INIT: ID "2" respawning too fast: Disabled for 5 minutes

Every few weeks, I have difficulties after closing a console login
session. The error message is:
INIT: ID "2" respawning too fast: Disabled for 5 minutes

While the session is being respawned too fast, I obviously do not have
access to it.

On previous occasions, I have managed to play with top and find a bash
session to kill. That approach is not working this time.

I have Googled the problem. It appears to be not uncommon, but the
variety of responses leaves me wondering if the responders are as
knowledgeable as they sound. The most sensible proposal appeared to be
in a message from Joey Hess on debian-users recommending to add a -L
flag to the terminal respawn lines in /etc/inittab. I did so, followed
by an "/sbin/init q". This has not helped.

I am running Libranet 2.8.0 updated to Debian sid/unstable.

- --
Bruce Miller
Ottawa, ON  K1M 2H9 CANADA
GPG key ID 0x1B9200FC. Public key available from keyservers
Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)