Hosting virtual mail domains on Debian.

I'd really like to be able to host virtual mail domains on a Sarge server. I'd like not to have to give users accounts on the server and to avoid passing cleartext passwords over the network for authentication (with pop3 or imap). I'd also like to use exim as the MTA. Cyrus and Courier look like promising ways to do that but I'm stuck.

First I looked at courier-imap but exim and courier don't use the same db to look up recipients (bug 100646, doesn't seem likely to get fixed).

cyrus-imap looks like I need version 2.2 to get the virtual hosting I want -- 2.1 seems to choke delivering to names with an @ in them (wish I had found the 2.1 docs sooner). 2.2 looks to be in the pipe, but almost 5 months old.

So what are the pros doing? I guess I could hack something together to sync different DBs for courier and exim. Or I could build my own package for cyrus-imap 2.2 (not sure how hard that is, starting with the 2.1 source package). Maybe that would even be useful to the maintainer.

Any advice? Is there anything I can do to fix 100646 or get a 2.2 cyrus package submitted? I'm happy to help but I don't know how long it will take me or how useful my efforts will be.

Maybe I've missed A Better Way. How can I get around this either: easily, with a package that's readily available; or productively, that solves this problem for other people?

Thanks!
Dave