Re: branding debian releases

-  Simmel <simmel@anymotion.de> [2004-04-16 14:18:37 +0200]:

> May sound lazy too, and yes I'm a lazy guy. If my boss tells me to setup an
> apache server and tells me to use debian because the cust would like to have
> especially this distri well heck I'm stuck in the installation routine for
> hours trying to figure out how dselect works. GREAT :-( And the main part,
> installing apache, isn't even done yet (this was my first experience with
> Debian). I know to work with apache, but I don'T know how to install Debian,
> never seen it before. First time I saw RH and SuSe using X-Server installs I
> was like YES M$ gets their ASS kicked, this is almost too simple! Everybody
> can handle that easily!

You might like to try the new debian installer
(http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-installer/) which is in development
at the moment. It's at beta 3. It autodetects a lot of hardware,
and if you're lucky consists of mostly pressing enter.

> And to get away from M$ ("winzigweich") you should try a RH and SuSe install
> and then judge for yourself..... which install looks nicer? which installer
> is simpler to use for the average user? which installer has tons of
> information on any subject you can click with your mouse?

The installer is currently all text based, but it's modularised and will
allow people to write a graphical frontend to it really quickly. I'll
assume there will be lots of information in the frontend on the
particular options that presented.