Re: branding debian releases

> P.S.: And while I'm on it, pleeeeez enhance the installation routine,
> something like a graphical interface. This takes the fear off most users.

Personally I like the current Woody installer :-)
I find it quick and easy to use - runs nicely on older hardware due to not
having the overhead of any kind of GUI.
If you are only brought up in the GUI world of Windows, then I guess it will
be a little disconcerting at first, but it's not hard to pick up.

> Take a look at SuSe and Redaht and you'll know what I mean. I know that
> there are also a lot of small things which aren't good, like the package
> selection, those are far better in Debian. But the "blue screen" :-P is
> really annoying and confusing. My first installtion were more like 3 1/2
> installations, if you catch my drift.

At least the task selector and dselect do a good job of resolving any
dependancies whilst installing - I have had loads of problems with Red Hat
(although I have not installed it recently) and broken packages due to
missing libraries etc.

Also, how many people in the Windows world actually install their own OS? I
suspect *most* buy a computer with it pre-installed, or take it to a shop
for upgrades - the few that do it themsleves would have little problem with
the current installation of Debian.
Without wishing to sound too evangelical, I have had fewer issues installing
Debian on a variety of hardware than I have had installing Windows - in
fact, my main workstation refuses to run with Windows 2000, so has a nice
copy of Woody + backports instead.

...just my 2p :-)

Cheers,

Pete.