Help ! "Kernel setup stack overlaps LILO second stage."

Hi,

Running a routine 'update' and 'dist-upgrade' in unstable I found today that 'kernel-image-2.4.25-1-686' and associated files such as 'kernel-headers' were
to be upgraded.

   I had previously found 'alsa-modules-2.4.25-1-686'  would not install
because a number of modules (the four files quoted in error messages had names ending in '.so') had "characters which could not be resolved".

   I assumed (hopefully) that this could have fixed this..

  At the end of the dist-upgrade I was told that reboot was necessary.

   I did so but found that the LILO screen had the message

"Lilo 22.5.8 (Debian) Boot menu
boot:

'df' had shown my /usr partition to be 100% but I thought I may be able to sneak through after deleting 'ppp' & associated files - I use cable on this
system.

I surmise that I should get in there and delete, delete, delete ... and try again. But I can't - I'm stuck with the same LILO error message whenever I try to reboot. I have had to send this message from my unused Win partition -
a bit like going back in time.

   Any constructive ideas appreciated.

Adam Bogacki,
afb@paradise.net.nz